Save Money this Memorial Day Weekend
If you're going out of town:
- Tune up your car to get the best gas mileage. Check tire pressure to make sure they are all equally inflated to the proper amount. Fill your tank before the weekend arrives and gas prices get even higher. By using cruise control while driving, you will be less likely to get a speeding ticket, and the consistent speed will save you valuable gas dollars. Finally, turn off the air conditioner and enjoy the fresh air.
- Pack picnic lunches and snacks for the family to minimize the cost of stopping to eat at restaurants along the way. Also stock up on a variety of beverages for the cooler.
If you're hosting:
- A barbecue is a great way to enjoy the outdoors while feeding a lot of people on a budget. Hot dogs and hamburgers are always a good choice and won't break your bank. It's also typical to ask guests to bring sides or drinks to a barbecue, saving you a few more dollars.
- Another great way to save money is to host a potluck instead of providing food for everyone. This frees up your budget for other things such as games and decorations.
If you're keeping it simple:
- Memorial Day weekend is usually a great time to be outside. Take a hike, go to the park or have a picnic with your family. Outdoor activities are generally free, so they fit in perfectly with a frugal lifestyle.
- Instead of traveling, enjoy your three-day weekend in the comfort of your own home. Rent some movies and enjoy quality time with your loved ones for little or no cost.