When United Bank & Trust Company’s family tree took root in the small town of Hansell, so also began our long-standing tradition of service to our customers and their communities. Many years have passed since those early days, but our bank’s mission has remained steadfast. Through the decades, we have focused on six key traits that are essential to developing solid and enduring relationships with our customers: integrity, strength, stability, quality, value and service. As we adapt to the changing times that are part of every generation, these six characteristics have proven to be timeless benchmarks that help us meet our customers’ expectations.
We hope this glimpse back through our history helps you understand why United Bank & Trust Company is proud to build on our past to make a better future.
United Bank & Trust Company Timeline
- 1915 – Corporate birthday of the bank – Hansell Savings Bank granted a charter by the State of Iowa.
- 1930s – The Great Depression – Hansell Savings Bank is the only bank in Franklin County to survive the Depression.
- 1935 – Sheffield businessmen purchase Hansell Savings Bank and relocate its charter to Sheffield and change its name to Sheffield Savings Bank; Hansell and Dougherty become offices.
- 1949 – James E. Coonley buys controlling interest of Farmers State Bank of Dows and its Popejoy office.
- 1955 – James E. Coonley buys controlling interest of Sheffield Savings Bank.
- 1966 – Sheffield Savings Bank builds a new office across the street from their existing bank.
- 1984 – Alden State Bank purchased by Coonley family.
- 1980s – The Iowa Farm Crisis hits, affecting thousands of farm families and many agricultural banks.
- 1985 – A new office is built in Dougherty.
- 1993 – Farmers State Bank of Dows merges with Sheffield Savings Bank; the bank’s name is changed to United Bank & Trust Company.
- 1995 – Alden State Bank merges into United Bank & Trust Company.
- 1995 - UBTC reaches 50 million in assets.
- 1995 – Sheffield office is remodeled and expanded.
- 1998 – Dows office is remodeled.
- 1999 - UBTC website www.ubtc.net, Online Banking and Online images are launched.
- 1999 – United Bank & Trust Company buys the U.S. Bank office in Hampton. State law requires the bank to relocate its charter to Hampton.
- 2001 – A new office is built in Alden.
- 2002 – Hansell and Popejoy offices close; buildings donated to the towns.
- 2003 – Developed and trademarked FARMTRAC®, a financial and risk management program used by farm customers to manage their operations.
- 2005 – A new office is built in Hampton.
- 2006 – E-Statements are launched.
- 2008 – UBTC reaches 100 million in assets.
- 2010 – UBTC Mobile Banking is launched.
- 2012 – UBTC is registered and a new logo created.
- 2012 – UBTC reaches 150 million in assets.
- 2014 – iPhone, iPad and Android UBTC apps with Mobile Check Deposit are launched.
- 2014 – Dougherty office is closed.
- 2015 – UBTC celebrates 100 years of service.